Friday, March 11, 2011

Easy Delicious Bean Burgers!


Do you like beans?  I do.  I don't think I've met a bean that I dislike.  I like some more than others but honestly Rylie and I could crack open a can of kidney beans and nosh on them all day. Beans are delicious and nutritious too!  They've got protein and fiber AND they're tasty.  I love veggie burgers too, so why not combine my love and make a yummy burger. I got the idea for this from this recipe on Kath Eats Real Food website (which is a wonderful site).  Kath is a R.D. and has wonderful recipes on her site.  Here is my take on her Bean Burgers.  This is a single serving recipe, if you want to make them for the family...just use more beans and veggies!


  • First I sauteed a few veggies.  You can use whatever you like or have in your fridge.  I had some bell pepper, garlic and green onion.  
  • While those softened I took 1/3 cup of beans and mashed them with a fork.  I had navy beans but black beans and kidney beans would also work really well.  I'd already opened a can of navy beans, so that's what I used.




  • Next, I threw the veggies in with the beans, added 1 tbsp whole wheat flour and some seasonings (I used salt and Tony Chachere's seasoning) and form into a patty.  
  • Cook in a flat nonstick pan (with cooking spray)  for about 4 minutes on each side.  I plopped mine down and when I could shake the pan and the burger slid back and forth, I flipped it.

  • When the burger was browned on each side I toasted a whole wheat english muffin, melted 1/2 a slice of sharp cheddar cheese and added a bit of ketchup (because I love ketchup ya'll).  This burger was amazing!  Crisp on the outside and creamy and delicious on the inside.  Plus it's so easy.  Just use what beans, veggies and seasonings you have!  Let me know if you try it and what you think!
I hope ya'll have a great weekend!  Today I'm having fun in Atlanta with Amy, Kathlyn, my little Rowan and The Pioneer Woman!!  Can ya'll tell how excited I am about this?  LOL.  Expect a full post on our fun day and follow me on twitter if you want updates in real time  =)  Also, if you see my husband, give him a hug because he is AMAZING for taking off 1/2 a day to watch Rylie so that I could do this, he really is THE best husband.  Happy Friday Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment