Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Five Things : Thanksgiving Edition

These days I feel sure that Thanksgiving and Christmas run together.  This didn't seem to be so when I was a kid, but now the way things are marketed and the way our culture is, it's like one big holiday party from November to January.  I'm not complaining, I'm just saying (has anyone else noticed  this?).  Hey, I'm sure I fed into it all when I started demanding that it's ok for me to listen to Christmas music starting the day after Halloween.
Example: Today I think I'll have to buy this album. Yes. I AM a Gleek.

Regardless of how it all runs together, Thanksgiving has always been special to me.  I remember huge Thanksgiving meals at my Pop and Mamaw's house in Mississippi and (also huge) fun filled Thanksgivings here at my Nana and Grandpa's.  When I was a freshman in college my Nana taught Amy and I how to make her famous dressing...it IS the best.  That year we made it for everyone coming to my Mom's house for Thanksgiving and it was a hit, we've been making it since (this is the one year...in about 10 years we haven't made it).
In the process of making dressing one year. We love it! Our pregnant selves 
just weren't up to making it this year =(

My favorite Thanksgivings are the ones at my Mom's house though.Tons of family, me fussing over all the food (worried somehow THIS year my dressing will be crap), eating, visiting, laughing, possibly talking a walk around the neighborhood afterwards.
Thanksgiving a few years ago at my Mom's...mass mayhem = I'm completely happy!
Would you just look at this plate of delicious goodness?

This year will be a much smaller crowd.  My Mom's side of the family isn't coming here, they're each doing their own thing this year and I'll really miss them, but here are 5 things I'm looking forward to...this coming week!!!

1. Becoming an Aunt!!!
I know it really has nothing to do with Thanksgiving besides the timing but by Thanksgiving I will be a first time Aunt and I couldn't be more excited.  I already love little Elliot Matthew more than he'll ever know and it just so happens he gets to come this close to Thanksgiving.  Well little guy, I'm already thankful I get to be your Aunt. Now hurry up and get here so I can kiss on you!


2. Food/Family/Fun
I don't care if you're talking about my Mom's side or my Dad's side of the family, they are fun and they know how to cook!  I'm constantly learning new recipes and cooking tips from them...plus...you know we'll be laughing off half of the calories we consume because we just have a great time together.  I really treasure these moments together listening to old stories, swapping recipes or parenting tips and just being with the people you know love you the most!

3. The Bulloch House
We started this tradition when my Pop was still with us...so that was at least 16 years ago.  The day after Thanksgiving (give or take a few years in there) we always go to The Bulloch House for lunch and possibly some shopping.  It's in an old mansion and they serve the most ridiculous good buffet.  Like we need anymore food the day after Thanksgiving, but hey...it's our tradition.  We've spent many many years doing this and I simply adore it.  Some years it's a huge crowd and others it's just a few...but when we go I really feel like it's finally the holiday season.
It's even prettier decorated for Christmas.

4. Decorating the Christmas Tree
Yes, I know this post is about Thanksgiving, but we almost always decorate our tree the day/weekend after Thanksgiving.  This year should be QUITE interesting.  Rylie is MUCH more mobile than she was last year and she has quite the fascination with one certain toy....the ball.  So much so that she has thrown our little decorated pumpkins numerous times.  She's got quite an arm on her and hey...they just look like orange balls to her, why can't she throw them?  I'm just worried about her pulling off every little ball shaped ornament and throwing them (w/ that awesome overhand throw she's got going on).  Despite my worry I'm SO excited.  Decorating the tree as a family with my kid(s) is the kind of stuff I dreamed about doing as a little girl.  We'll crank up the Charlie Brown Christmas cd, sip hot chocolate and start playing dodgeball...errr...decorate the tree!
Rylie in front of our tree last year.

5. Yes, I'm a dork...the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
I'd be lying if I told you I watch this with a giant amount of interest but I LOVE having it on while I'm gettin' my cook on on Thanksgiving day.  This year I'll be making The Pioneer Woman's Creamy Mashed Potatoes. I salivate everytime I see the recipe in her awesome cookbook.  But having the parade on while I cook that morning is absolutely essential.  Yes, the performances my musical artists are pre-recorded, yes there will be 100 school bands I've never heard of and yes I DO watch it in part in case a giant Elmo balloon type thing gets away and starts floating over Manhattan like a giant red Godzilla.  But to my Thanksgiving, this simple tradition is essential.
He looks innocent now but he may soon turn into Picachu-zilla!!

I hope everyone has a fantastic week.  I'll definitely be posting more about Thanksgiving but I had to do my 5 things list because these things have just been on my mind.  Now I'm off to get a shower and get my Rylie girl to school.  Have a good one!

4 comments:

  1. Aww April, I wish we were coming down! I love our trips to the Bulloch house. I know you all are getting so excited for little Elliot to arrive! I can't wait to see pictures. He looks adorable from what I can see from his 4D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...sweet...precious memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it :) I think I'm putting up the tree this weekend! We'll be gone for Christmas so I want to have plenty of time to enjoy the decorations! So excited for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that we're pretty disappointed we can't come down for the holidays this years. I sure will miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete